Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sad Day in the Brooder Pen



Today we lost little Rosey.  She stopped eating and drinking last night and went down hill fast.  She made it through the night but wasn't looking good.  I tried for a while to get her to rally by giving her water from a dropper.  But by mid afternoon I realized I was just delaying the inevitable and decide to just let her be.  She died soon after.

Meg is one sad little girl.  Rosey has been her favorite since even before she arrived.  I think partly because she was the one we KNEW was a girl (she was a golden sex linked chick which means that girl chicks are one color and boys are another - making sexing a piece of cake!).  I think Meg decided that lowered the risk of getting attached and then having to give a pet away because it turns out to be a rooster. Smart girl.  I so wish that planning worked for her!  We of course had prepared the girls for the possible loss of chicks but preparation is one thing...

So the lesson from the coop for today is- no matter how prepared you are for the death of any creature, it still hurts.  It is a good reminder how fragile life is, particularly for the tiniest of us.  And as a parent it is a reminder to me to tackle the hard stuff with my kids when they ask.  Meg wanted to hear about how Rosey died, what I did for her, why I thought it happened, and so many more things.  She then wanted to see little Rosey one more time.  I had throught she might , so I had but her carefully in a little PartyLite candle box which fit her just perfectly.  Not that any of those things have made the sadness go away for Meg but I guess it's another life lesson.

I expect "The Ladies minus One" will have lots of lessons for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment